Recipes to Carry You Through Spring
Charred Kale Pizza with Garlic
Courtesy of Blue Sky Organic Farms
Makes 2 pizzas, serves 3 to 4 people
- 1 pound homemade or store- bought pizza dough, divided into two 8 ounce balls
- 1 bunch trimmed and roughly chopped Toscano kale leaves (any type of kale will work)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces shredded Fontina cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 6 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
1. Place each ball of pizza dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Combine kale and olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss, massaging with hands until every surface of the kale is coated in oil. Set aside while the pizza dough rests.
3. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to top position under broiler and place a Baking Steel or pizza stone on top. Preheat oven to maximum heat setting.
4.When ready to bake, transfer one ball of pizza dough to a bowl of flour and turn to coat. Transfer to a lightly floured wooden pizza peel and stretch or roll into a thin circle.
5. Top with half of grated cheese and half of mozzarella torn into small chunks. Sprinkle half of garlic and half of pepper flake over surface.
6.Turn broiler on to high and launch pizza onto baking steel. Bake, rotating occasionally, until cheese has melted and edges are barely starting to brown, about 2 minutes.
7. Remove from oven with a metal pizza peel and distribute half of the kale evenly over the surface, then return to oven. Bake, rotating occasionally, until kale is charred and crisp and edges of pizza are browned, about 2 minutes longer.
8. Serve immediately, then repeat with remaining pizza.
Fresh Cranberry Salsa
Courtesy of Mommas Organic Market
• 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries, fresh or frozen
• 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• 1 bunch green onions, cut into 3 inch lengths
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
• 2 limes
• 1/3 cup sugar
Combine cranberries, cilantro, green onions, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a medium blade. Chop to medium consistency. Refrigerate if not using immediately. Serve at room temperature.